Information about the volcanic eruption in Bali
This advisory was closed on 3rd December 2018 which means this advice is no longer in place.
The following information is for those concerned with or affected by the ongoing Mount Agung volcanic eruption in Bali.
Mount Agung’s recent eruptions have caused a volcanic ash cloud and visibility issues across parts of Bali. As a result, flights in and out of Denpasar Airport are now being interrupted, with many cancellations.
Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) and Safe Travel website www.safetravel.govt.nz for up to date information about this event.
MFAT currently notes that there is extreme risk to your safety within a 10-kilometre radius of Mount Agung volcano (in the red zone), and they advise against all travel to the exclusion zone.
Your policy provides a number of benefits, conditions, limits and exclusions that may be relevant to your travel plans. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your circumstances. We will assess all claims in accordance with your Policy Wording and your Certificate of Insurance.
If you entered into a policy before 9am (NZT) Tuesday 19 September, 2017:
If you are currently travelling:
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- Please consider your safety first and follow advice from local authorities.
- If you need medical advice or emergency medical assistance please contact our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team on 001 803 61 098. You can also speak to your local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
- If your transport is delayed or cancelled or your accommodation is affected due to this eruption, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled as a result of the Mount Agung volcanic ash cloud and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser cost). Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- We recommend contacting your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details. Contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
- Keep up to date on advice from travel providers by visiting their websites directly.
If you entered into a policy after 9am (NZT) Tuesday 19 September, 2017:
- We would expect that this was done with an awareness of the Mount Agung volcano. For these policies, we will not pay any claim caused by or in any way connected with this eruption. Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time of purchasing your policy.
- Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances and therefore we would like to take the opportunity to remind and encourage travellers who purchase travel insurance to always read their travel insurance Policy Wording, so that you know which risks you are covered for.
- We will assess all claims in accordance with your Policy Wording and your Certificate of Insurance.
Making a claim
Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
Where possible, ensure any replacement accommodation and additional expenses are of a similar standard to that which you had planned and pre-paid. For example, if you have been using two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
To make a claim visit our website https://claimmanager.co.nz/
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
*Last updated on 29 November 2017