Samoan preventative measures against the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCOV) - LIVE
On 23 January 2020, Samoa has put restrictions in place for visitors due to the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). As of 29 January 2020, the preventative measures noted on the Samona Ministry of Health website have been updated.
As at 30 January 2020, travellers from New Zealand are not required to undergo medical examination by a medical practitioner within (3) days before travelling to Samoa, and we have updated this Travel Advisory to reflect the current situation.
Due to the constantly evolving nature of this event, Allianz Partners' position may change and our Travel Advisory for the Samoan preventative measures against the novel coronavirus may be updated further.
There are other travel requirements that may impact travellers to Samoa from New Zealand, such as filling out a Special Health Declaration Form and to expect compulsory screening at all ports of entry.
The full list of travel restrictions in Samoa in relation to the Novel Coronavirus is available here.
How will your travel insurance policy respond to this situation?
As a general guide, we suggest that impacted travellers check their travel insurance Policy Wording regarding cancellation, travel delay, missed connection/additional travel expenses and curtailment, as these will provide useful assistance around the cover under your policy.
If you entered into a policy before 9am (NZT) Saturday 25 January 2020:
If you are currently travelling:
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so. If you are currently travelling, the following sections of your Policy Wording will provide guidance around the cover your policy provides:
- Cancellation – if your flight is delayed, cancelled or rescheduled due to the preventative measures being implemented in Samoa due to the Novel Coronavirus and this causes you to miss your pre-paid travel arrangements, you may be able to claim for your pre-paid travel expenses as per the limits outlined in your Policy Wording.
- Additional expenses – if your journey is disrupted as result of the preventative measures being implemented in Samoa due to the Novel Coronavirus, you may be able to claim the cost of your necessary and reasonable additional travel and accommodation expenses. Cover may extend to include meals depending on the limits outlined in your Policy Wording.
- Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For the full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled because of the preventative measures being implemented in Samoa due to the Novel Coronavirus, you may be able to make a claim for rearrangement of your journey. Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- If your travel is prior to Thursday 30 January, it is unlikely that you will be able to have fulfilled the Samoan requirement to have undergone a medical at least three (3) days before travelling. When we assess your claim, this will be taken into consideration.
- If your travel commences on or after Friday 31 January, we would expect you to have met the Samoan government requirement of having had medical clearance at least three (3) days before travelling, confirming that you have no infectious diseases.
- If your travel arrangements have been affected, contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details.
- At this stage, there is no cancellation cover for customers that do not wish to travel from New Zealand as a result of the preventative measures in place in Samoa. You should, of course, ensure that all of those travelling have been certified as being infectious disease free.
If you entered into a policy after 9am (NZT) Saturday 25 January 2020:
- We would expect that this was done with an awareness of the preventative measures in place by the Samoan government as a result of the Novel Coronavirus. For these policies, we will not pay any claim caused by or in any way connected with this event. Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware, or which you ought to have been aware of, of at the time of purchasing your policy.
What next steps should you take?
- You should try to minimise your expenses including rearranging your journey where possible. If you have been using, for example, two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
- Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
How to contact us
- If you have any general queries or specific questions about how your policy will respond to claims arising from the preventative measures in place by the Samoan government as a result of the Novel Coronavrius, please contact Allianz Partners on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
- In an emergency, contact Emergency Assistance on + 64 9 486 6868
- To make a claim visit our website www.claimmanager.co.nz
- We will publish this and any updated travel insurance advisories on our website: www.allianzpartners.co.nz