On Sunday 30 December, Mount Agung erupted, sending ash 700m into the air. While this has not caused a full-scale evacuation at this stage, tourists have been warned to stay out of a 4km “danger zone” around the volcano. At this stage, flights have not been impacted, but we will continue to monitor the situation. We advise those travelling to stay safe and follow the instructions of any local authorities.
Your policy provides a number of benefits, conditions, limits and exclusions that may be relevant to your travel plans. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your circumstances. We will assess all claims in accordance with your Policy Wording and your Certificate of Insurance.
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
• If your transport is delayed or cancelled or your accommodation is affected due to the volcano, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses. We will automatically extend the coverage period on your reasonable return to New Zealand.
• Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
• If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by your travel provider as a result of the volcano, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey. Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
• If your travel arrangements have been affected, contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details.
• You should try to minimise your expenses including rearranging your journey where possible. If you have been using, for example, two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
• Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
• If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Partners Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
• To make a claim visit our website www.claimmanager.co.nz
• We will publish this and any updated travel insurance advisories on our website: www.allianzpartners.co.nz
• We would expect that this was done with an awareness of the volcano. For these policies, we will not pay any claim caused by or in any way connected with this event. Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time of purchasing your policy.