Updated Information about Mount Agung in Bali
This advisory was closed on 3rd December 2018 which means this advice is no longer in place.
As you may be aware, Mount Agung volcano in Bali has experienced high levels of activity and periodic eruptions since September 2017. While local authorities remain on high alert, flights are currently not affected and travel from Denpasar airport continues to operate as normal. The travel advisory that was issued in September 2017 remains in place and affects policies that were purchased after 9am (NZST) Tuesday 19 September 2017.
If you entered into a policy before 9am (NZST) Tuesday 19 September, 2017:
If you are currently travelling:
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- Please consider your safety first and follow advice from local authorities.
- If you need medical advice or emergency medical assistance please contact our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team. Speak to the local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
- If your transport is delayed or cancelled or your accommodation is affected due to this eruption, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
- Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) and Safe Travel website www.safetravel.govt.nz for up to date information about this event.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by your travel provider as a result of of the Mount Agung volcanic ash cloud and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser cost). Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- We recommend contacting your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details. Contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
- Keep up to date on advice from travel providers by visiting their websites directly.
If you entered into a policy after 9am (NZST) Tuesday 19 September, 2017:
- Your policy covers you for unforeseeable circumstances. As Mt Agung was a foreseeable event we would expect that this was done with an awareness of the increased activity by Mt Agung and the possibility of issues arising due to this. For these policies, claims that arise due to volcanic activity associated with Mt Agung (for example, flight delays or cancellations) may not be covered.
- Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances and therefore we would like to take the opportunity to remind and encourage travellers who purchase travel insurance to always read their travel insurance Policy Wording, so that you know what risks you are covered for.
What next steps should you take?
- You should try to minimise your expenses including rearranging your journey where possible. If you have been using, for example, two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
- Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
- To make a claim visit our website www.claimmanager.co.nz
*Last updated 19 February 2018