Lombok, Indonesia has recently been impacted by two major earthquakes, and a number of aftershocks. The quakes will have an ongoing impact in the area, including more likely aftershocks and so we are urging you to take care during your travels.
Safety is your first priority so if you are in any vulnerable areas please follow advice from local authorities (including evacuation orders) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) and follow https://www.safetravel.govt.nz for up to date information about the earthquake.
MFAT notes that the most recent Lombok earthquake’s epicentre was 50km north-east of Mataran and at a depth of 10km. They also note that there have been further smaller quakes with damage being noted in Lombok, the Gili islands and Bali. Anyone with imminent travel plans to Indonesia should contact their accommodation provider or travel agent directly to determine whether your destination has been impacted by the quake.
Your policy provides a number of benefits, conditions, limits and exclusions that may be relevant to your travel plans. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and a number of circumstances that give rise to a claim. Whether or not you will be covered for claims and events relating to the Lombok earthquake will depend on when you bought your travel insurance policy. Read on to find out more on the current situation. As usual all claims will be assessed based on your individual Policy Wording and any current travel advisories.
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
• If you need medical advice or emergency medical assistance please contact our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team. Speak to the local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
• If your transport is delayed or cancelled or your accommodation is affected due to the Lombok earthquake, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
• Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
• If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by your travel provider as a result of the Lombok earthquake, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey. Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
• If your travel arrangements have been affected, contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details.
• You should try to minimise your expenses including rearranging your journey where possible. If you have been using, for example, two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
• Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
As it is featured in a number of national and international news publications, we would expect that this was done with an awareness of the Lombok earthquake and the potential impact on your travel plans. For these policies, we will not pay any claim caused by or in any way connected with this event. Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time of purchasing your policy.
• If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Partners Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
• To make a claim visit our website www.claimmanager.co.nz
• We will publish this and any updated travel insurance advisories on our website: www.allianzpartners.co.nz