European Rail and Air Strikes
Information about ongoing European rail and air strikes
The French national rail company, SNCF, has recently commenced industrial action, noting that this is likely to last until the end of June. These are already causing a significant impact across France and more widely in Europe.
Air France has also indicated that their industrial action will continue and this is likely to impact thousands of travellers. The German airline, Lufthansa, is also being impacted by strikes. In this instance it is not Lufthansa staff striking but public-sector ground staff in Germany. Many flights have already been cancelled by both of these carriers.
Please keep abreast of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) website for any updates from them https://www.safetravel.govt.nz as the strike action progresses. You should also contact the airline / rail carrier directly if you want more up to date information from them.
Your policy provides a number of benefits, conditions, limits and exclusions that may be relevant to your travel plans. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your circumstances. We will assess all claims in accordance with your Policy Wording and your Certificate of Insurance.
If you entered into a policy before 9am (NZT) Wednesday 11 April, 2018:
If you are currently travelling:
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- As always, if you need medical advice or emergency medical assistance please contact our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team. Speak to the local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
- If your transport is delayed or cancelled or your accommodation is affected due to these strikes, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses (if your return to NZ is delayed as a result of this activity, we will automatically extend your cover until you can reasonably return).
Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by your travel provider as a result of these strikes, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey. Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- If your travel arrangements have been affected, contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details.
If you entered into a policy after 9am (NZT) Wednesday 11 April, 2018:
We would expect that this was done with an awareness of the European strike action. For these policies, we will not pay any claim caused by or in any way connected with this event. Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time of purchasing your policy.
What next steps should you take?
- You should try to minimise your expenses including rearranging your journey where possible. If you have been using, for example, two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
- Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses, you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
How to contact us
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Partners Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
- To make a claim visit our website www.claimmanager.co.nz
- We will publish this and any updated travel insurance advisories on our website: www.allianzpartners.co.nz