Information about Cyclone Gita in the Pacific
Cyclone Gita is currently causing significant damage in areas of the Pacific, with Samoa having been hit on Saturday. While its continued path is still unclear we are urging customers to take care during their travels.
Safety is your first priority so if you are in any vulnerable areas please follow advice from local authorities (including evacuation orders) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) https://www.safetravel.govt.nz for up to date information about the cyclone.
MFAT is currently noting that there is a high risk to safety as a result of this Cyclone and is urging New Zealanders in its path to follow the advice of local authorities at all times.
Your policy provides a number of benefits, conditions, limits and exclusions that may be relevant to your travel plans. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your circumstances. We will assess all claims in accordance with your Policy Wording and your Certificate of Insurance.
If you entered into a policy before 9am (NZT) Sunday 11 February, 2018:
If you are currently travelling:
It is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- If you need medical advice or emergency medical assistance please contact our 24-hour Emergency Assistance team. Speak to the local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
- If your transport is delayed or cancelled or your accommodation is affected due to Cyclone Gita, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply under your policy. For full details, you should refer to the Policy Wording and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled by your travel provider as a result of Cyclone Gita, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey. Please refer to your Policy Wording for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- If your travel arrangements have been affected, contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and they should be able to provide further details.
If you entered into a policy after 9am (NZT) Sunday 11 February, 2018:
- We would expect that this was done with an awareness of Cyclone Gita. For these policies, we will not pay any claim caused by or in any way connected with this event. Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time of purchasing your policy.
What next steps should you take?
- You should try to minimise your expenses including rearranging your journey where possible. If you have been using, for example, two-star accommodation on your trip to date, then any replacement accommodation should be of a similar standard.
- Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses you will need to submit documents showing what your original planned pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 or +64 9 486 0048.
- To make a claim visit our website www.claimmanager.co.nz