Information about travel to Barcelona
It has been reported that on 17 August, Spain has suffered what authorities are calling a terrorist attack after a van drove down one of Barcelona’s most popular boulevards, intentionally hitting pedestrians. With the ongoing threat of terrorism, Allianz Global Assistance urges travellers to be vigilant when in public places and follow the advice of local authorities. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) is urging people to contact their loved ones directly.
If you are currently travelling:
As an insurer that provides assistance services, it is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- Please consider your safety first and follow advice from local authorities.
- If you have been affected as a result of events in Barcelona and require medical or emergency medical assistance, please contact our Emergency Assistance team on 900 996 115 or speak to your local operator and ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499.
- If you are looking to change your travel arrangements we recommend you contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements, contact them directly for details. Please note that costs associated with amending your plans may be at your own cost.
- If you have any queries about your policy benefits and are still in New Zealand please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048.
- Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by MFAT via its website www.safetravel.govt.nz. MFAT is urging New Zealanders currently in Barcelona to avoid the immediate vicinity and follow the advice provided by the local authorities.
If you are about to travel:
If you are about to travel to Barcelona, Spain and you have concerns about travelling, we recommend contacting your travel agent or travel provider to discuss your options. Contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances and therefore we would like to take the opportunity to remind and encourage travellers who purchase travel insurance to always read their travel insurance Policy Wording, so that you know which risks you are covered for.
We will assess all claims in accordance with your Policy Wording and your Certificate of Insurance.
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 0800 800 048 between 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday.